Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tea with a spider

I am in middle of my day’s work and I get a call from one of my friends asking for a tea-break with him. I had been struggling with same issue since a week now and I cannot gather any motivation to work on it further. Also I realize that I had been sitting in my chair continuously from last 2 hours and my cerebral tank deserves a thorough wash up to refresh it self. An invitation for tea at such a time is too alluring to be refused and I immediately shoot to enjoy the 20 minutes hang out.

When I hit the coffee shop I find my friend already busy on his cell-phone. I hope that as soon as he is done with his call, we can discuss our company’s latest quarter results and India-Aus ODI which always meets the fate we Indians never like. I get two teas for both of us and we occupy a bench in a grass-stone lawn.

Finding my friend still chatting on the talking device, I see a spider under its own steam on the lawn. A spider, as I observe, is a very symmetric creature with legs having spikes in all directions and a couple of short antennas in front to catch its prey. The style with which the spider roams around is very royal. The walk which he takes seems to be a perfect work of engineering as he can overcome all the obstacles of grass and mud-sand gravel with a smooth glide like an automobile with suspensions in the best condition, not disturbing the motion of the main body. The flat and oval body seems to be floating in air if we don’t speck the legs. And the small head with eyes is like a chocolate brownie with 2 small cherries. The insect seems to be very stoic, calm and a peace-loving being who is capable of great skills to rappel even the greatest walls.
But right now this six-legged creature seems to be in different mood, a mood to have a one on one with me. It halts and looks at me as I guess. I too encounter the frightful expressions with a straight stare into its eyes although m not sure where exactly to spot its eyes to look into them.

The perfection with which this web-dweller weaves its cob is also reflected in the pattern with which it rather positions himself to engage in a battle. You loose sight for a moment and it’s of to a new position and that’s exactly happened to me when I turned to take a glance at my friend rather to make sure he is still fiddling with his mobile. And then in a moment of deception this spider is next to my hand.

But before we can engross in a battle it is time for me to re-catch day’s work. With my friend still busy on cell and my tea cup empty, I am left with no excuse to stay on and further engage in a tussle with this spider. Although I couldn’t satiate my desire to discuss Indo-Australia one day or my company’s quarter result, it was a great rendezvous with this wonderful creepy-crawly bug.

1 comment:

Pradyuman said...

finally got you buddy!