Monday, June 22, 2009

Abysmal 3rd term results…don’t worry have tea

Abysmal 3rd term results…don’t worry have tea


I don’t like classes at 3’o clock in afternoon, but IIM admin can’t run their schedule as per my wishes. And a cruel class was again scheduled at 3:10. Since morning itself I was feeling so sleepy that I bunked the last class in morning and hit the bed straight away. When I woke up next, the hands of the clock were covering the first quadrant with a smaller x-axis, and I realized that I have missed my lunch. Generally when I wake up I need a tea to bring myself back to senses. I encounter this daily. It is the moment of desperation for a cup of hot tea to fight over the attack of acute insomnia and a struggle, which I believe to be perpetual, to keep my eyelids from dropping. So I was trying to prepare myself for the afternoon class without a cup of tea.

And that’s it, in a micro second, it was gone, I was no longer feeling sleepy or dizzy. My roomie just told me that the results for third term were out. Suddenly I felt that something was sinking as if someone has tied a heavy brick to my stomach, which was plummeting by its weight. Although we were aware of the end term marks and had an idea what chaos would be noticeable on our grade sheet, but still an official confirmation of the aftermath of the bloody battle for those insignificant marks, makes one a little concerned. (Generally those people who don’t get any marks call them irrelevant and I am no exception, please excuse me for that).

So the only good thing to happen because of this was that I was upright on my feet checking for my marks on our moodle and was very sure that even without tea I wont feel sleepy in the following session. The whole process of checking result also happens to be little dramatic with me always. As soon as I typed in the intranet web address, I got a login page. With no further delay I put in my username and password and hit enter. But instead of my grade page, I saw a message saying “get the best f#$k available in the town”. I thought that the admin people , this time, have devised a humorous way to communicate our results but then I realize that this is my webmail inbox and the message is some weird spam mail that had been flooding our mail boxes for quite a long time now.

I realized that marks are available on the PGP portal link on the intranet page. I quickly went back to pgp portal link and typed in my userid and password. This time the server served me with the correct page. I was very glad to see that I haven’t scored any D (I forgot to mention, I was expecting atleast 2 of them on my sheet). But when I see my TGPA, its shockingly low. Not to mention it had pulled my CGPA down as well. I was little sad about my performance, but had a class starting in about 3 minutes, so had to run.

After about an hour into the financial derivatives, our prof announced the break. I came out of the class and not to my wonder everybody was discussing marks. I exchanged my marks debacle with few and was very relieved to know that it wasn’t a single-man disaster but an institute-wide calamity. The best part of such discussions is that people pour in with so many great ideas to cover the performance that one is hardly left with any bad feelings about the result. I was swamped with a various excuses like ‘CP marks were low for Economics’, ‘these evaluations are subjective’, ‘the Prof has a real tight hand when allotting marks’ and best of all, ’marks never fetch you a good job’. I chose a few ‘reasonable’ reasons for myself and as an ablution in Ganges; I washed away my guilt of underperformance. The very next moment I was joking about my grades and I think the thought of marks itself disappeared from my mind.

But as soon as I forgot the marks, an urge for the tea again uprooted in me. I ran to the canteen to grab a cup of tea before my break gets over. There was this guy in canteen who shared his concern over his abysmal performance in third term. I simply said “Don’t worry, have tea”.

3 comments:

Renaissance of PG said...

In our colg tym, u didn`t write such article but tried to relax our strained nerves wid such thoughts....
purani baate yaad aa gayi ye padke...
thnx 4 dos days.......hehe

AB said...

Hmmm...certainly true!!! Dont worrie have tea is perfectly apt here. I liked "I chose few resonable reasons for myself"...actually thats the best you can do :) :) Chillex and have fun...
BTW after a long time...dude very busy these days or running out of thoughts ;)

Vaib-Sight said...

Kinda busy...many thoughts keep striking.. but hardly ny make it to blog...coz of time constraint.